Saturday

Review: Ancient Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Huntress #1) by Linsey Hall



Book Blurb

I’m good at two things: finding treasure and killing demons. Lying low is a close third—but not because I want to be good at hiding. I have to be. I’m a FireSoul, one of the unlucky few to inherit a piece of the dragon’s soul. Being born with the dragon’s covetousness should be a sweet gig - I have the power to find and steal any type of treasure, including the powers of other supernaturals.

But it doesn’t come without a price - stealing powers requires that I kill, and others would destroy me if they discover what I am. In a world full of magic, hiding my species is the only way to survive. Finding magical artifacts is the only way to pay the bills. It’s a dangerous job when you can barely use your magic, but that’s one of the things I like about it.

When Aidan Merrick, the most powerful shifter in the city, hired me to find an ancient scroll, I didn’t want to take the job. His immense amount of power reminds me of too much of murky memories from a past I can’t remember. But I don’t have a choice. The scroll reveals what I am. And if anyone finds out, I’m dead.

Buy Links

Toot's Review by Stacy Sabala

Three girls appear in a clearing together.  They have no idea who they are or how they got there or why.  Every time they try to remember they have this tremendous pain that invades their heads.  They go into hiding giving themselves names and try to figure out what they are.
Cass, Nix and Del becomes sisters and friends.  Together even ten years later in business with each other.  They alone hold their secrets of being Firesouls.  When a demon informs Cass that he knows about her, she gets scared.  No one should know anything about the three women.
Cass is then surprised to find millionaire Aidan Merrick on her doorstep.  Aidan wants to hire her to find the Scroll of Truth.  Cass panics.  The Scroll could tell that she, Nix and Del are Firesouls.  She has to find it and destroy it.  The search becomes complicated when it is obvious someone else is looking for it.  Cass and Aidan have to fight demons at every turn.
Cass fears what she will find, her feelings for Aidan and that he will learn her secret.  She is determined to keep her family and friends safe.
I pretty much loved this book from the beginning.  The reader has absolutely no clue who these girls are.  It is still a mystery at the end.  Cass is the main focus of this book.  I loved her character from the beginning.  She is smart and a strong female character.  She takes care of herself and kicks demon butt without using her power.  She is an excellent combination.

The storyline of the book was full of suspense and intrigue.  Aidan is mysterious at first but a great character as the story evolves.  He and Cass make a great team.  This the first book in the Huntress series and I can’t wait to see what happens next.  I want to revisit Cass, Nix, Aidan and Del.  I give this book a 4 out of 5.




No comments:

Post a Comment