Thursday

Review: Dollars

Dollars Dollars by Pepper Winters
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

“You don’t need to know what the future holds. No one does. After all, no one can truly know or predict what their next day will include. All you need to know is right now. Can you survive right now? Can you survive today? If the answer is yes, then keep going. Who cares what other people’s agendas are? You can’t control that. You shouldn’t weaken yourself by worrying. Accept that you are strong enough to endure the present. The rest doesn’t matter.” - Dr. Michaels to Pim

Well, I got this book as an ARC and finished it a few days ago but I really had to stew on my thoughts for a while because I'm not quite sure what to think or feel.

So let me get this all out, edit it and then maybe you’ll see where I’m coming from.

Sometimes it’s best when you’re reviewing a second book in a series to look back at the first to get the bigger picture. So let’s start with the first book, Pennies. Pennies was the start to the new series for Pepper and had a lot to accomplish in a short span. It not only had to set up the overall world but also had character and story build and then create a hook to have the reader want to continue reading the next four books in the series. I’m all about analogies, so the best was to describe Pennies for me would be that it was the slow climb up a roller coaster ride in the beginning. You know in your heart it’s going to be an amazing ride. You can see where the ride is going to go and the anticipation is intense. Now with that being said, I would put Dollars as the flat part or the small little hill of the roller coaster right before you get to the good stuff! Dollars subtly adds to the overall ride and is needed to gain the momentum for the exciting parts to come.

Remember, Dollars is the second installment in a 5 book series. Dollars focuses mainly on character building and relationship building in the overall arc of the story.

So now that the gobbily-gook is out of the way, Dollars picks up right where Pennies left off. Elder has found and taken Pim to his floating fortress, a beast of a yacht called Phantom, for medical care and rehab after the injuries she sustained when he found her. He has also decided that he needs to either keep her, sell her or let her go but he doesn’t know which yet. So for 90% of the book, you have him weighing his options, the two characters dancing around each other and coping/feeling out their new realities. We mostly learn more of his backstory, we learn more of hers and we get a big ol’ grand tour of Elder’s day to day life, in and out of business. Like I said, there are some very memorable scenes scattered throughout the story and the ending is classic Pepper; which like any good cliffy, rolls us right up to the next installment being Hundreds.

I gave it a 3 because as the sophomore addition to the overarching story, I found it kinda boring. It was mostly in Pim’s head because she’s mute and in Elder’s because he was trying to figure things out for himself. Like I said, a few good scenes but I found myself pretty bored at times.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment