Saturday

Review: His Light in the Dark by L.A. Fiore



Book Blurb

My first memory was of a slap, hard across the face: the sting on my cheek and the jarring of my bones as I slammed back into my bed. It was my dad who had hit me.

I had been four.

Most of my memories were much of the same and no one ever saw, no one ever fought to help, no one ever cared.

Then we moved.

My new neighbor cared, rescued the twelve-year-old I had been from a beating. Always thought I'd suffer the nightmare alone, I was wrong.

Mace Donati saved me that day in all the ways a person could be saved.

And his daughter, Mia, she became the friend I had always wanted, my conscience when my own faltered, the light that led me home when I had lost my way.

The girl who grew into the only woman I would ever love.

But when you realize you're more like your father than the good people who took you in and gave you a home, the only way to return their kindness is to let them go.

I let them go, got so far lost in the shadows I couldn't remember who I was anymore. Mia never gave up on me. She fought for me, kept the light on so I'd find my way back.

And when I did, life threw us a curveball. I had to hurt Mia in order to save her.

But when my past comes back to haunt me and I almost lose her, I'm ready to fight for her...fight to find a way back into her heart while keeping the demons from my past from finishing what they started.

Cole Campbell


Buy Links

Toot's Review by Stacy Sabala

Cole lives with his alcoholic father that likes to hit him when he is angry. No one helps Cole and he grows to learn no one cares what happens to him. Until one night his new neighbor intervenes. His father goes to jail and Cole is taken next door to take care of the cut under his eye. That is where the twelve year old Cole meets seven year old Mia.

After that night he starts spending more time at Mia’s house with her and her dad. Her dad starts teaching Cole how to cook and fix cars. Mia is happy to see Cole’s eyes start to sparkle like her princess shoes. He becomes part of her family for three years.

Unfortunately Cole’s past comes for him when he is fifteen. His life takes a dark turn. He believes that Mace and Mia will be better off without him. As he stays away Mia refuses to give up on him. Even when the unspeakable happens in her life and her world crumbles around her. When her life is in danger Cole is the one dedicated to keep her safe.

This story was really good. I loved both Cole and Mia immediately. Their connection is pretty instant. The love story is epic but tragic in the evolution of the book. The darkness almost swallows Cole. Mace picked him out of it and Mia became his light. You feel for Mia the whole story. Her feelings for Cole are strong but he refuses to return them even though he feels the same.

The story has twists and turns that evolve into blackmail, murder, kidnapping, torture and betrayal. Mace and Cole end up in the middle of something big that they unwittingly fell into. The reader has no idea what it is and learns as Mia does. We live through the danger and terrifying moments as Mia struggles through everything thrown her way. I couldn’t put it down. Some of the instances in the story are shocking. I didn’t see some of those things coming. Then the ending blew my mind. It was pretty awesome. The author wrote a fabulous story. I give it a 5 out of 5.




No comments:

Post a Comment