Monday

Review: It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover




It Ends with UsIt Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The title - It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover basically encapsulates what the whole book is about when you know what the book centers around and that is domestic abuse. The title refers to ending the cycle of abuse and making the hard decisions to make sure that it doesn't continue with the next generation.

Colleen herself talks at the end about her own experience with watching her father and mother at a young age go at it until her mother made the hard decision to end the cycle by walking away with nothing to her name and 2 kids in tow but the unknown was better than the alternative. She also talked about that the heroine, Lily, is loosely based on her mother and even some of the situations that ended up in the book involving Lily actually happened to her mother.

With that knowledge, I applaud Colleen for being so brave in putting out this book. It was hard enough to read and I can only imagine how hard it must have been to have written. There were times I just shook my head at the heroine's forgiveness, her naiveté but on the flip-side, I was shown that there are always two sides to every story. Sometimes it's just as hard to walk away from a difficult situation that you never expected to be in. You are with someone for a reason. Good, bad or indifferent, unless you walk a mile in a person shoes, don't judge their reasoning for staying or going. It's their lives and we as outsiders don't know the whole story, even if you think you do.
Now let me step off my soap box and tell you a bit about the story that Colleen has presented to us.
Lily is a woman who has survived her own parents domestic abuse. She witnessed horrific events at the hands of her father towards her mother and vowed to never, ever be like her mother.

As a teen, she met and fell in love with a homeless teen runaway (Atlas) who was crashing in an abandoned house nearby. How he ended up there is a secondary story but just know that they rescued each other in those early years and as their lives moved in different directions, neither has forgotten the other (this becomes important later on but I'm trying not to spoil things for you dear reader).

As the years go on, Lily's mom has moved on, Lily's dad has passed away and Lily has cobbled together a fairly normal life as a small business owner of a flower shop in Boston until she meets the dashingly handsome neurosurgeon, Ryle Kincaid. Lily has hit the HEA lotto! I mean dude is a doctor, filthy rich, his sister has become her BFF and he is literally sex on a stick. Lily can’t help but fall in love even when Atlas reappears in her life and makes it quite clear, he’s been waiting for her but their time has passed. Atlas was her past and Ryle is her future that is until Lily finds herself in love with a complete stranger. Ryle is not the man she though he was and now she finds herself caught in the same cycle of abuse she thought she had escaped. Will Lily’s HEA turn into her worst nightmare or will she be strong enough to say “It Ends With Us”.

The only sticking point with me is that I fell like I need more. Please hear my plea Colleen, I want a second book or novella with Lily and Atlas's story. I want more about Atlas. I'm so curious about his side of the story. I would love to know more about his home life as a kid, the two of them as teens, more of him in the military, more of him opening Bibs, more, more, more!!!!!!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment